Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's the Most Important Meal of the Day...

...and the most difficult to work in. Getting to breakfast in my house is a feat. Besides that fact that I am NOT a morning person and the fact that my son likes to get up at 6AM every morning and my baby likes to eat at 6:30AM...well you can see mornings are not a fun time for me. My husband has to leave by 7:30 for work and if I haven't managed to fix my breakfast by then, it usually doesn't get done. But as anyone who has done even the minimal amount of research about weight loss knows, breakfast is an important aspect of that process. So, I have been persevering. I have stocked the house with healthy cereal, yogurt, fruit, Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin Bread, and waffles. I realize oatmeal should be on that list, but that stuff is so gross. (My son loves it, though, go figure.) I, also, bake muffins one night a week to have ready for the next morning. So, seems like I have it all figured out, right? No, I'm totally bored. After only three weeks, I feel like I've eaten the same five meals for breakfast repeatedly. I want to go the grocery store and buy a box of pop tarts sooooooo bad. I will admit eating better in the mornings has made me feel less ravenous by 3PM (my witching hour where I want to tear the house apart and gnaw on anything that has sugar in it). But I'm finding it more difficult every day to want to get out of bed in time to get my food ready. Right now is the point when the newness is wearing off and the old drudgery is setting in. The first week, eating breakfast was exciting and "oh, this actually tastes good". By the 3rd week, it's become "yup, taste the same as the last 5 times I've eaten it". This is where it truly stops being a diet and starts becoming a lifestyle change. The day when I get up, make my breakfast, and don't even think about what I'd rather be eating is when it's become a healthy habit. Until I get to that point, though, I've got to make it over this hurdle. Any ideas for easy to make, yummy, not boring breakfasts?

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried raw oatmeal? It is a completely different creature than the cooked stuff. I have never liked cooked oatmeal myself. I'd recommend pouring some regular oatmeal in a glass, sprinkle just a little sugar on top, (You really don't want very much or it will go sickeningly sweet very quickly) and add milk. Give the oatmeal a couple of minutes to soak up the milk and try a spoonful. It may not sound appetizing and Beth looks at me funny every time she sees me do it, but it actually tastes quite good and is very filling.
    Otherwise, omelets are actually really quick to make. You can even speed up the process by doing prep work when you are more awake, leaving yourself with 1) put pan on stove 2) turn on stove 3) pour pre-made omelet mix 4) flip 5) eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, I do look at him odd when he eats the raw oatmeal, but that's because I like it cooked too. Oh well.
    I like to snack on the Natures Valley granola (the crunchy ones) bars even for breakfast where I eat at work - I don't know if you would like those better.
    You probably already know this too, but try avoiding stuff with high fructose corn syrup -it is everywhere. There is something in that stuff the cuts of the "I'm full" voice in your head. Rich knows more about it and read 'In Defense of Food'.
    By the way, I'm enjoying your writing. :-) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys!! The omelet idea is great! I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I don't know about the oatmeal. I might try it only because you are recommending it, though. And Beth, I have definitely cut out the high-fructose corn syrup, that actually came about when I had Henry. (I'm hoping to pass on better food habits to him and Lorelai.) I can't believe how much stuff it is in. It's in bread!! Thanks for reading my stuff, I'm glad someone is enjoying it. It was a little difficult for me to finally post it on Facebook, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete