Saturday, March 26, 2011

Success! Kind of?

I managed to get to the park on Thursday. Fortunately, it was freezing out, so there were very few people there. Unfortunately, it was freezing out and my hands were soooooo cold by the time I got finished. My sweater was also very awkward and I couldn't get it to zip up. I think I will be investing into some inexpensive runner's gear. Even when I'm walking I could use a more body hugging jacket, the sweater flaps uncontrollably even during a light walk.

As for the running...I was feeling pretty good, keeping my walking at a good pace. After six minutes, I started a light jog. My breathing was good but my calves were burning something fierce. The minute seemed to pass fairly quickly. Then the next time was up and I start to run again and the burning became intense. After that my walking started to slow and then after the third time, my feet feel asleep. Like sitting on the couch too long with your foot tuck underneath you asleep. I could barely feel them. So, I gave up the running and just concentrated on the walking (I may have given up completely if not for the needing to get to my car part). After about a 1/4 mile, my feet started perking back up and I did a slow jog down the last hill. From there, I walked the short distance to my car and spent a few minutes getting the feeling back.

So, I only managed to jog for about four minutes. Not great, but four minutes more than I've done before. I'm not giving up, though! I'm going to keep adding a few minutes of jogging in with my walking and start building up my endurance. All in all, the exercising has been making me feel great. But the problem has always been once I get out of the habit, I forget how great it feels. So, I just need to keep the momentum going. I'll keep you updated on the jogging progress!

1 comment: