Thursday, March 24, 2011

Only When Being Chased By Cops or Dogs



This has always been my motto on running. If you aren't being chased, what's the point? The last couple of times I've been to the park, though, I've felt the urge to run. The last time I ran, well, I'm pretty sure I've never ran. Even as a child I didn't see the point. So, why now? Why do I feel the need to lace up some tennis...er...runner's...er... do they have special shoes for running? Or can I just wear my sneakers? Anyway, so why now? I lost 40 pounds several years ago and never really felt the need to get all sweaty. But now, I feel like I want to be out of breath with my t-shirt drenched in sweat. Maybe I've be watching too much Biggest Loser. Who knows, but I think I'm going to take the plunge tonight. By plunge, I mean interspersing 10 minutes of running in with an hour of walking. At least that's what the websites I've been reading about running say I should do. I'm supposed to walk for 6 minutes and run for 1 minute. I should do this for a week and then next week I should walk for 5 and run for 2. And the 3rd week...well, you get the picture. I'm honestly not even that worried about physically being able to do it, I just don't want to look like a jackass. I see all of these people running at the park, like really running, like the whole 1 3/4 miles. And I just think if they saw my fat ass trying to hoof it around the place, they might pull an abdominal muscle from laughing so hard. I realize this shouldn't be of concern to me, but I've never claimed to be rationale. (If you've come here looking for sanity, there's a button at the top of the page you should probably push, it's called "next blog".)

So, hopefully, tomorrow I will have a triumphant tale of overcoming my fear of showing all things giggly to everyone in the park. That's if I manage not to break anything or die from an asthma attack (not that I'm making light of such things, I really do have asthma). But if I do, I'll be sure to have my husband give you all an update. Until then, here's to good thoughts for my sneakers...runners...tennis shoes...really, someone, please tell me if I have to buy some sort of special footwear.

1 comment:

  1. You don't need special footwear. In fact, there are studies that propose it's better to run barefoot. There's also a region in South America that is known for runners who play a kickball game while running and wearing pieces of tire on their feet held up by straps. What you *do* need to consider is that you will probably need a special top. Good luck! Impact is actually really good for the health of your joints. I know several people who have put jumping jacks back into their daily routines for just that reason.

    ReplyDelete